Liverpool can move four points clear of City by beating them in the final Premier League game of the calendar year later in the evening.
Jurgen Klopp admitted he has not been to watch Manchester City, saying he did not feel the need to, after Pep Guardiola was spotted at Anfield watching the Reds’ 4-1 win over Stoke on Tuesday.
Manchester City’s last and only Premier League win at Anfield (D5 L13) came in May 2003, as Nicolas Anelka scored twice against his former club in a 2-1 victory.
“I think it will be a little bit about how we protect our own attacks because both teams are pretty good on the counter-attack,” said Klopp, who enjoyed 4-1 and 3-0 league victories over City last season.
“Both teams are good in possession so we have to defend at our highest level. The detail will make the difference.”
On the other hand, Sergio Aguero is set to return from his four-game suspension as the Citizens make efforts to close the gap between them and table toppers, Chelsea.
Though not too convincing in their midweek encounter with Hull City, they showed class to squeeze out a result and cart away all three points.
Guardiola will be hoping his wards will exhibit such resilience to tame the enterprising Reds at Anfield later in the evening.
Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho will not be fit enough to feature against Manchester City.
The Brazil international has been out for over a month with ankle ligament damage and will not be rushed back.
A bigger blow ahead of the visit of Guardiola’s side is the continued absence of centre-back Joel Matip, who is set to sit out his fourth successive match because of an ankle injury
Manchester City’s top scorer Aguero returns from a four-match suspension for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Anfield.
Defender John Stones could also be fit to feature after limping off during the first half of the Boxing Day win at Hull.
Midfielder Leroy Sane is still out with the knock that forced him to miss the Hull game while Vincent Kompany (knee) also remains on the sidelines.
Match: Premier League fixture
Venue: Anfield, Liverpool
Date: 31st December, 2016
* Liverpool have won their last three Premier League games in a row. The last time they won four consecutively against Manchester City was in 1981 (a run of seven).
* Aguero has scored four times against Liverpool in the Premier League but none of those goals have been at Anfield.
* Liverpool have never failed to score in their previous 19 home Premier League games against City.
* Since failing to score in consecutive Premier League games at the end of March 2016, Man City have only failed to find the net in one of their last 26 matches and scored 58 goals in that time.
* Adam Lallana has been involved in more goals than any other midfielder in the Premier League this season (13 – seven goals, six assists).
* Liverpool have scored 86 league goals in 2016 so far; their best tally in a calendar year since the 87 goals that they scored in 1985.
Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/sports/liverpool-set-to-ambush-manchester-city-at-anfield/178488.html#sVlcRVH30CRjPLRV.99