U.S. to start recalling officials from WHO ahead of pullout – State Dept.

0

Washington, Sept. 3, 2020 (Sputnik/Naija247news) The U.S. will start recalling its representatives and reducing its engagement with the World Health Organisation (WHO) ahead of its planned pullout on July 6 next year, according to an official.

State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus, who announced this in a statement on Thursday, said: “Today, the United States is announcing the next steps with respect to our withdrawal from the WHO and the redirection of American resources.

“This redirection includes reprogramming the remaining balance of its planned Fiscal Year 2020 assessed WHO contributions to partially pay other UN assessments.

“In addition, through July 2021, the United States will scale down its engagement with the WHO.

“To include recalling the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) detailees from WHO headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, and reassigning these experts.

“U.S. participation in WHO technical meetings and events will be determined on a case-by-case basis.”

In July, the U.S. formally notified the WHO of its withdrawal effective July 6, 2021.

Ortagus said Washington had been working to identify partners to assume the activities previously undertaken by WHO.

“When President Trump announced the U.S. withdrawal from that organisation, he made clear that we would seek more credible and transparent partners,” she added.

The U.S. pulled out of the WHO earlier this year after claiming the body helped China conceal information about the origins of the novel coronavirus.

The WHO said its Jan. 30 emergency declaration gave the U.S. sufficient time to prepare while Beijing said it had been transparent about the virus’s origins.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.