By Chimezie Anaso
Awka, Oct. 21, 2020 With the Aug. 12 e-voting election into the board of Anambra Football Association (FA) board which purportedly returned Ifeanyi Ubah, former chairman of the body, voided by the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF), all is now set for the emergence of a new set of administrators.
Arising from its Executive Committee meeting held via video conference on Oct. 20, the NFF placed a death knell on all the debate and posturing concerning the events that followed the expiration of the Ubah-led board on Aug. 2, 2020, including the purported election.
It will be recalled that on Oct. 12, the Ministry of Sports and Youth Development met with Anambra Sports Development Commission and other stakeholders in Anambra football over the election on the strength of Ubah’s petition.
The ministry later referred the matter to the NFF, advising it to look at its statutes in examining the issues. It later upheld its decision.
In a six-point communiqué, the NFF Executive Committee said the caretaker committee set up to conduct elections into the FA board was in order and in accordance with its statute.
It directed that the elections into the Local Football Committee and FA board on Oct. 29 and Oct. 30 should proceed as planned.
The NFF said Ubah, who wrote a petition to the ministry against the setting up of a caretaker committee in Anambra, recalled that his own election in 2015 was conducted by a caretaker arrangement.
“While appreciating the advice of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development on the issue of the FA, the Executive Committee noted that it was not only bound by Association Football protocols and the principles of fairness but also by the supremacy of the NFF Statutes.
“It noted that the constitution of a caretaker committee is very much in order, and that in line with the NFF Statutes and furtherance of the protocols and principles mentioned, the process for election of the Anambra State FA Board had to go ahead as planned,” it said.
The NFF executive committee restated that the body’s statutes had adequate provisions for any aggrieved party to ventilate any complaints they might have.
The FA electoral committee had released the list of candidate eligible to contest in the forthcoming election and none of the candidates had been a member of the board.
The list was signed by Rev. Fr. Coach Obinna Dike, Chairman of the Electoral Committee, Okey Ezeugwu, Chairman of Screening Committee, Chijioke Onyedika, Secretary, Ijeoma Nwosu and Godwin Madubuko.
Emeka Okeke, founder of Aspire FC Adazi-Ani and Chikelue Iloenyonsi, a former international who purchased forms for chairmanship position were cleared by the screening committee.
Okoye Chinedu and Victor Aniekwena were also cleared for vice-chairmanship position, while Ralph Chidozie-George, Cordelia Akanna and Oliver Ndigwe, a former international were cleared for member positions.
Two former members of the board, Anthony Udennaka and Cyprian Amuzie were disqualified. Also disqualified were Obiora Nnatuanya and Dozie Okpalaugo.
Also published was the list of candidates for the LFC election in the 21 local government areas of Anambra.
Arthur Ebunam, Chairman of Ex-Rangers Internationals in Anambra told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that it would be a new dawn for Anambra football after the election with the fresh and energetic crop of new administrators.
Ebunam said both candidates for chairmanship had cut their teeth in football matters and were burning with zeal and ideas, adding that any of them that emerged would serve the Anambra football community well.
He referred to the events at FA as a new dawn which would usher in better tidings for growth and development of football in Anambra.