By Nathan Nwakamma
Yenagoa, April 16, 2021 The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) says it has suspended it proposed strike over Chevron Nigeria Limited’s plan (CNL) to lay off 600 workers at the Agbami Offshore Oilfield in Bayelsa.
Mr Lumumba Okugbawa, General-Secretary of PENGASSAN made this known to newsmen on Friday in Yenagoa.
Okugbawa told Newsmen that the strike had been put on hold following a truce with company’s management on April 15.
According to him, the leadership of PENGASSAN and management of CNL reached an agreement over the matter, making the proposed strike unnecessary.
Okugbawa said that the mediatory meeting by Chief Timipre Sylva, Minister of State for Petroleum with the leadership of the union scheduled for April 15 could not also hold because a truce had reached.
PENGASSAN had threatened to down tools and shutdown Agbami Offshore Oilfield over moves by Chevron to cut its workforce by 25 per cent.
The plan to lay off 600 workers was announced, in a statement, on Oct. 2, 2020 by Mr Esimaje Brikinn, CNL’s General Manager Policy, Government and Public Affairs.
Brikinn said the job cut was to reposition the oil firm for greater efficiency and competitiveness.
Agbami field, which has the capacity to produce 250,000 barrels per day (bpd), currently produces about 140,000 bpd according to industry data.